Change font size   Print view   Arrange Blocks
Navigator
Support US
Recent Visits
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

1B4X1 - Network Warfare Operator .......

Not directly related to a base. Keywords: Follow-on, CJR, dream sheet

Moderator: jpgartner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:34 pm
Looks like 1B4X1 is becoming a reality, AF will start converting people into this AFSCs this coming October. who a piece of the actions?

3-Level
3-Level
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:59 pm
information? where did you here about it?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:01 am
the information was disseminated during a briefing withing the network warfare squadron. folks out there who are interested in doing this line work, better jump on the bandwagon now, best way that i know of is through equal plus ad --> 315 NWS.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:11 am
Actually the easiest way to try and get into the 1B4 side is to attend UNWT.
3-Level
3-Level
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:57 am
Yeah pretty sure all UNWT grads will be offered 1B4 slots first since they got the initial training out the way and can jump right in.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:11 am
Well, being a 3D072 in NATO, we never got word here about this new career field, not even about the UNWT school.... Hell, for that matter, I just so happened to look at my records review on vMPF one day and was like, wha? my career field is now 3D0X2/3?! What's that all about?! No one here knew, we were kept in the dark about it all... I know Feb of 11 when I PCS, if they ever give me a friggin assignment, I'll be in for a slap in the face and a kick in the nuts to how much my AF has changed these last 3 years...
So that all said, how do I go about getting the UNWT? How does one get into that school? Is it unit funded? MAJCOM/AF funded? Just curious, it'd be great to get in on this if possible! I'm sure the wait list is long, especially for those who didn't know about it until a week or two ago :)
7-Level
7-Level
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:23 pm
A lot of the information on this career field is sensitive and should not be discussed here.

I was and am disheartened by the apparent lack of information that filters down about the communications career field. But let me make this clear. SAF/CIO and sub-orgs periodically publish information on the Air Force portal regarding the communications career field. The information is out there. If you have any business in Comm you will know how to find information. You will have Infoseek/Google-fu. The last people that should be complaining about the lack of information regarding their career field is network warfare operators/cyber defense prospects.

I think we should be more concerned with what technical skills we already possess. So here are some questions I have for you.

1. Who was Major (now Doctor) Roger Schell and what contributions has he made to computer security?
  2. Explain the concept of fuzzing
  3. What IA32 Register points to the next instruction for the ALU to process?
  4. Can you crack WEP without an access point? If so how is this possible?
  5. What GNU/Linux programs are available to scan 802.15.1?

Let the Google be strong with you~ :-D
Last edited by Tookie on Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~The opinions I state in my posts are mine and mine only. They do not represent those of the USAF, any unit I work for, any educational center I frequent or any technology groups I belong to.~
Post Whore
Post Whore
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:41 pm
As far as I know this job is 2nd term only at the moment. So if you're looking to join and get into it you may be out of luck for now.
I'm afraid there is a certain class of race problem solvers who don't want the patient to get well, because as long as the disease holds out they have not only an easy means of making a living, but also an easy medium through which to make themselves prominent before the public. Booker T Washington

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:24 am
Look, I'm all about keeping up with security, it's vital to what we do...I get it, figured I could at least get a, hey, go talk to you functional, who is 4 countries away, or go talk to your training manager, at another base, who is 2 hours away and doesn't even know about your site, except for that one guy who keeps yelling at him over the phone for not providing support to GSUs.... That's all... I get it... the AF Portal, What have you done for yourself lately, damn I miss the 90s, go get answers from your Chief... There was a person to talk to, not a damn search engine. Have we become so reliant on google that we forgot how to talk to each other? Seriously, I just got an email from a guy across the room! Just ask me the question....
But I digress, Fine, I'll do it your way, I'll begin the long drawn out process of digging though useless info that's been posted out on the portal, and trust me, there's a LOT!
Thanks for the help! I am starting to see the AF I'm going back into, and I must say, it's not too much better than NATO....:facepalm
3-Level
3-Level
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:11 pm
GCWILLIAMS wrote:Look, I'm all about keeping up with security, it's vital to what we do...I get it, figured I could at least get a, hey, go talk to you functional, who is 4 countries away, or go talk to your training manager, at another base, who is 2 hours away and doesn't even know about your site, except for that one guy who keeps yelling at him over the phone for not providing support to GSUs.... That's all... I get it... the AF Portal, What have you done for yourself lately, damn I miss the 90s, go get answers from your Chief... There was a person to talk to, not a damn search engine. Have we become so reliant on google that we forgot how to talk to each other? Seriously, I just got an email from a guy across the room! Just ask me the question....
But I digress, Fine, I'll do it your way, I'll begin the long drawn out process of digging though useless info that's been posted out on the portal, and trust me, there's a LOT!
Thanks for the help! I am starting to see the AF I'm going back into, and I must say, it's not too much better than NATO....:facepalm

Right now, the only people getting to go to UNWT will be those filling certain billets. For all others, you'll have to enroll in the Cyber Ops Transition Course (not sure of the name) and then hope that they have extra seats for UNWT. So if you are not in a Net Warfare or CYBERCOM related unit, then you are last on the priority list to attend. I wouldn't expect you to get funding from outside units either.

Your best bet is to try and get yourself into a unit under the 24th AF back in the states. EQUAL Plus had some indef ads for 3D0X2 and 3D1X2 SSgt and TSgt's for the 315 NWS last time I was browsing AMS. So that's another route for you to look at. The word "cyber" is all the rage these days so you're probably gonna have to fight with some people to get into 1B4. Some people were just lucky enough to get orders to a 24th AF unit and will be converted automatically to the new AFSC. Others might be pissed that they are being converted because they are not interested in performing any of the functions of a 1B4 or they don't like the limited base selection. Just gotta roll with the punches.
3-Level
3-Level
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:29 pm
GCWILLIAMS wrote:Look, I'm all about keeping up with security, it's vital to what we do...I get it, figured I could at least get a, hey, go talk to you functional, who is 4 countries away, or go talk to your training manager, at another base, who is 2 hours away and doesn't even know about your site, except for that one guy who keeps yelling at him over the phone for not providing support to GSUs.... That's all... I get it... the AF Portal, What have you done for yourself lately, damn I miss the 90s, go get answers from your Chief... There was a person to talk to, not a damn search engine. Have we become so reliant on google that we forgot how to talk to each other? Seriously, I just got an email from a guy across the room! Just ask me the question....

Tookie did try to help. I think his questions about Bluetooth and assembly language and software testing weren't meant to frustrate you. He was trying to give you a taste of what the 1B4X1 discipline will require: finding answers and solving problems. IANA 1B4, but my guess is being able to find new information quickly for a given set of conditions is critical to success.

He's also pointing you in the right direction... leadership not giving you info? Keep up with the portal, AF news press releases, etc. If what you're saying is not hyperbole and all these changes truly blindsided you, it could be argued you're not paying attention, taking interest in your own career, etc. Like you, I am also out of Big AF. I've been in the joint environment for five years now, and I've been well informed on the whole 3C transformation. Your experience is obviously different - I have a functional who made a point to travel a few thousand miles to all our locations, give briefings, and take questions. Sounds like you did not.

Not that I believe it would've mattered if you're looking for CNO/EW opportunities; my *assumption* is few, if any, people who were awarded 1B4X1 and 1B4X2 AFSCs weren't already doing that job when the changes were made.

My concern about that field at this point in my career would be size. It's tiny. What opportunities exist for E8 and higher, how many E8/E9 positions are there, given the limited number of assignment locations, where are those opportunities, etc. Competition for any rank with a bunch of smart eggheads would be fierce.

Return to Misc Assignmet Talk