Change font size   Print view   Arrange Blocks
Navigator
Support US
Recent Visits
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

PT Test and PCSing

This is the place for you fitness, diet and nutrition questions...

Moderator: kochanut

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:58 am
Hello All,
I have my PT test coming up and I am also out processing for PCS. I have never failed a PT test but I am a big guy so I always worry about my waist. They taped me at a 36 last year at the FAC but I know better than that, in my defense I am 6'4" so I am not fat, just a big guy.

Could a failed PT test keep you from PCSing. The AFI's (below) are kind of vague on the subject.

Any information would be helpful.
__________________________________________________________________________________
AIR FORCE INSTRUCTION 36-2110
22 SEPTEMBER 2009 - Incorporating Change 1, 1 October 2011
Personnel
ASSIGNMENTS

2.40. Assignment Quality Control. All Airmen are responsible for meeting the AF quality standards to remain on active duty. Commanders must take appropriate rehabilitative, administrative, or disciplinary action for substandard Airmen. The assignment quality control program establishes the minimum AF standards Airmen must meet to be eligible for PCS reassignment.
2.40.3.9. Airmen failing to meet physical fitness standards. Failure to meet physical fitness standards does not, in itself, impact Airman’s assignment or assignment selection. However, commander-directed disciplinary/rehabilitative actions such as control roster, UIF, and such due to failure to meet physical fitness standards can preclude assignment or assignment selection. Recommended administrative/personnel actions for failure to meet physical fitness standards are addressed in AFI 10-408, Fitness Program, Attachments 13. Additional options not mentioned in AFI 10-408 may be considered. These options include requesting RNLTD delays as an exception to allow the Airman an opportunity to retest, as well as, requesting Commander- Directed Hold (AAC 21), providing specific justification to HQ AFPC/DPAPP for consideration. If the commander elects to request assignment cancellation due to administrative/personnel actions taken as a result of fitness failure, an assignment quality control review must be accomplished IAW paragraph 2.40.7.
________________________________________________________________________________
AFI 36-2905_AFGM3
3 January 2012
AFI 36-2905, Fitness Program

4.2.4. PCS Moves. Exemptions are not granted for members in outbound status. Members pending PCS must have a current FA score on file that will not expire prior to the Report-No- Later-Than-Date (RNLTD) at the next duty location. If the score expires prior to the RNLTD at the next duty location, member must be scheduled for a FA before their departure. A member in inbound status is given 42 days from his/her Date Arrive Station (DAS) date to acclimatize before assessment.
Freeze
3-Level
3-Level
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:33 pm
Your commander has the option to cancel your PCS. I've also seen units call the failing member's old unit asking them why they PCSd them. It's not like they were sent back or anything. It was just the commander was tired of seeing newcomers that had failing PT scores. Also, the Fitness AFI means that the member has to have a current test. Doesn't matter if it's a failure or not. I've seen people deploy with failing test scores.
9-Level
9-Level
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:52 pm
Freeze50:

You posted the answer as part of your question. If you need help learning how to interpret the AFIs that you cut'n'pasted, talk to your supervisory chain.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:46 pm
hustonj,
thank you for you valuable input.

Let me restate my confusion:

36-2110 ASSIGNMENTS (Dated 22 SEPTEMBER 2009 and Incorporating Change 1, 1 October 2011) references AFI 10-408, Fitness Program, Attachments 13 but the current fitness AFI is 36-2905 Fitness Program (Dated 3 January 2012).

All the current Fitness AFI says is that PCS movers must have a current fitness test and not whether it has to be passing.

Also, the current assignments AFI only states, "Failure to meet physical fitness standards does not, in itself, impact Airman’s assignment...".

It also states. "Recommended administrative/personnel actions for failure to meet physical fitness standards are addressed in AFI 10-408, Fitness Program, Attachments 13. Additional options not mentioned in AFI 10-408 may be considered." But like I said 10-408 is not the current fitness AFI.

I have brought this to leaderships attention but figured we are all on the same team and if some one already had and answer to my question they could assist.

So, thanks for your help kind sir, your comment is the exact reason I have only 22 posts in 7 years. I think it is awesome how we are all willing to share information and help each other out.
9-Level
9-Level
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:54 pm
You have displayed a need for career counseling and training on how to read and interpret AFIs.

Both of these functions are things your supervision are PAID TO PROVIDE YOU.

The number of people who come to sites like this instead of talking to the people that are paid to teach them is why I give responses like these. Be a reasonable tax-payer and demand that your employees provide you the services for which you are paying!

I'm far harder on the "leadership" that works around me and fails to provide these services than I have ever been to people looking for these services.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:14 pm
The AFI are just that, left open to interpretation. The interpretation of me, you, the hundreds of others on this website as well as those in my leadership chain and at the very agencies you are telling me to visit for answers.

All I was looking for was another opinion. Yes this issue will be brought to my leadership and more than likely other agencies, if needed but there is nothing wrong with looking for the inputs of the global wingman.

I took your response as, go ask someone else. And if that is harsh then I apologize but PCSing brings stress, fitness testing brings stress and not having answers causes stress.

I am done, good day.
9-Level
9-Level
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:36 pm
A first time failure "shouldn't" be grounds for administrative action. That's in the AFI. I personally have witnessed what happens when someone fails PT while trying to PCS. Both people get DEROS extensions and passed their next tests. You have to understand CC's do not like sending PT failures to other units, so they will usually put the person on admin hold or something to keep the person at their current assignment until a passing score is achieved. In some cases I've seen where the gaining CC says "send him anyway, and we'll take care of it here". I've never seen an assignment cancelled due to a PT failure. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm saying there are a few options before an assignment gets cancelled. If the assignment is a special duty assignment you may lose it, but that can depend on how close to pcsing you are and pt history. Some positions are hard to fill and the gaining unit may need you regardless of your score. Bottom line is, pass the test and you won't have to worry. Get one of those seaweed wraps for your waste, and if you have any injuries get a profile. You're not trying to make varsity, so "tuffing" anything out is retarded.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:50 pm
Thanks DrSatan,
I am within 30 days of PCSing and within 30 days of not being current on my fit test. I dont think i will fail but i do freak out a little and I have always been one to prepare myself for the worst. Another interesting fact is that my CC is also in charge over the subordinate I will be PCSing too.

thanks for the info.
Freeze
3-Level
3-Level
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:52 am
I had a guy in my shop overseas who failed his, all while in the process of PCS'ing to a short tour and had a follow on in the states. The assignments section canceled his orders and gave him a different base in the states. I do think for his particular situation something with short tours or the rights to stay overseas were taken into consideration. I think in some parts it may depend on if you are going CONUS-CONUS, CONUS-OCONUS, etc etc. It is hard to pick how it could be given your situation, and it is in some ways open to interpretation and which AFI a CC or Outbound assignments section may utilize as the primary.
5-Level
5-Level
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:17 pm
My recommendation is to work out every day. Being able to PCS to your next assignment and continuing your career in the Air Force should be enough motivation for you to be able to pass this next PT test. PT is like everything else. Practice makes perfect. If you work out often and push yourself to do better each time, you'll succeed.
Post Whore
Post Whore
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:24 pm
hustonj wrote:You have displayed a need for career counseling and training on how to read and interpret AFIs.

Both of these functions are things your supervision are PAID TO PROVIDE YOU.

The number of people who come to sites like this instead of talking to the people that are paid to teach them is why I give responses like these. Be a reasonable tax-payer and demand that your employees provide you the services for which you are paying!

I'm far harder on the "leadership" that works around me and fails to provide these services than I have ever been to people looking for these services.

I dont post questions often in this forum but most of the time I do ask the question can not be answered locally. Even if it can I do like hearing other peoples thoughts. The ways you interperate it would allow this guy to take that same thought process to his leadership and maybe that can help sway the answer more along the way he wants. I see this as him doing some research on the subject and a good thing.
[quote="vangvace"]All women are whores...[/quote]

Return to Fitness & Nutrition