Change font size   Print view   Arrange Blocks
Navigator
Support US
Recent Visits
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

3D032 Cyber Systems Operations Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:02 pm
Hey guys, I was curious as to what exactly the job entails. I am in DEP and I leave on April 9th for Lackland, and I pulled 3D032 Cyber Systems Operations Apprentice as my AFSC. Now I absolutely love networking, computers, programs, apps etc. However, I may be a little put off by the idea of having to answer 100+ tech support calls daily, I understand I'll do whatever I'm told, And I'll do my job the best I possibly can anyway, but just curious as to what that requires me to do. If I'm troubleshooting network issues, or if I'm talking to a Colonel for 3 hours about how to check his yahoo mail. Any advice is very much appreciated, Thanks.
Last edited by Hollywood8204 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:14 am
Hollywood8204 wrote:Hey guys, I was curious as to what exactly the job entails. I am in DEP and I leave on April 9th for Lackland, and I pulled 3D032 Cyber Systems Operations Apprentice as my AFSC. Now I absolutely love networking, computers, programs, apps etc. However, I may be a little put off by the idea of having to answer 100+ tech support calls daily, I understand I'll do whatever I'm told, And I'll do my job the best I possibly can anyway, but just curious as to what that requires me to do. If I'm troubleshooting network issues, or if I'm talking to an Colonel for 3 hours about how to check his yahoo mail. Any advice is very much appreciated, Thanks.

You can be doing anything really.... mostly maintaining servers and routers. But the 3D0X2's are the jack of all traits... unfortunately, they also run many helpdesks. So at some point in your career you will be answering phones
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:59 am
Well, if you like computers as much as you say you do, then you picked the right job. This is the core of computer networking in the Air Force. We do everything from the logical side (managing software; configuring routers, switches, etc.) to the physical side (network design, running cables, computer hardware repair, etc.).

We also tend to manage helpdesks at our various bases, so you'll have to answer phones at some point in your career. However, there are usually back-shops that deal with more specific, technical aspects of the network and if you're proficient enough with your job, you may be allowed to move off the helpdesk position and into a specific back-shop. At most places I've been assigned, the new guys would start on the helpdesk and if they proved to be good at their job, they might get moved to another shop where their skill and knowledge could be put to good use.

For the record, this career field covers a wide range of jobs and in the decade I've been in the Air Force, I have yet to do the same job twice.
Coby - Global Mod
SSgt, 3D072 - Cyber Systems Operations

"Hello, IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again?" ~Roy, The IT Crowd
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:05 pm
Thanks guys, that's exactly what I needed to know. :gp:
"If I die in a combat zone, press X to respawn."
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:05 pm
You should not be working on Help Desk any longer. The AFSC is networking and server mgmt. the 3D1X1 AFSC should be manning the help desks and serving as Computer Support Associates (CSA) at the desktop. We recently pulled all our 3D0X2s off the help desk and put them in the server administration team. I think you will enjoy the career field.

MSgt Berkompas
7-Level
7-Level
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:33 pm
Um... it isn't network in your base comm squadron either. No routers, no switches, no network design. 3D0X2 = server monkey for the INOSC at base comm.

Hell, my 3D132s had to show them how to make LAN cables last week.
[quote="Q"]If you are specifically referring to lifeline that is because I have banned all of his other accounts...[/quote]
3-Level
3-Level
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:59 am
It can depend on where you are located. At my current location I end up doing network stuff, client side, and server side stuff. Granted I am not at a normal base.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:25 pm
From the sounds of it, this is exactly what I wanna do. Wonder what my chances of actually being able to retrain into it will be...
5-Level
5-Level
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:45 am
Hollywood8204 wrote:Hey guys, I was curious as to what exactly the job entails. I am in DEP and I leave on April 9th for Lackland, and I pulled 3D032 Cyber Systems Operations Apprentice as my AFSC. Now I absolutely love networking, computers, programs, apps etc. However, I may be a little put off by the idea of having to answer 100+ tech support calls daily, I understand I'll do whatever I'm told, And I'll do my job the best I possibly can anyway, but just curious as to what that requires me to do. If I'm troubleshooting network issues, or if I'm talking to a Colonel for 3 hours about how to check his yahoo mail. Any advice is very much appreciated, Thanks.

At my last base, we did all that crap in the same shop. Answer calls, troubleshoot network issues, and help Lt Col Douchenozzle get the internet surfing on his Blackberry squared away - and everything in between.

Your positive attitude will take you far in this career field. Don't become the cynical, jaded jerk in the shop if you do end up working at the Help Desk (you shouldn't, though). Seek out education and certification, keep that positive attitude up, and you'll do fine. Good luck!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:15 am
:gp: Thanks everyone, I leave in 2 days, roller coaster of emotions and all that. Looking forward to a long and healthy Air Force career! And thank you for telling me what I needed to know instead of just posting bull$l-l!7.
"If I die in a combat zone, press X to respawn."

Return to 3D0X2-Cyber Ops